Google and Print advertising is a debatable topic. With the plethora of online marketing channels that companies can use, why should a company print marketing materials anymore? There are several reasons why, and the proof is seen even among the top internet marketing channels themselves. Google is the SEO (search engine optimization) master, to which all website creators try to appease in order to have their pages indexed and placed on the top pages of the search engine. Google ratings are very important to merchants online and offline. Free and pay-per-click advertising as well as paid ads are available to the public. Google is one of the biggest online marketing channels in the world….and they uses print marketing.
Google recently sent marketing mailers. The mailers included a letter accompanied by a promotion code brochure, postcard insert, and credit card which was promoting a special for AdWords. The letter explained how AdWords worked and how it could improve business. The card was very eye-catching, printed in a bright blue with big, bold print. The back side of the card had a step-by-step guide and all the information the recipient would need to take advantage of this offer. Why does Google spend money to send out printed information when they could advertise within their own search engine for free?
Here is why:
- Google understands the power of printed marketing materials.
- Online advertisements often get overlooked by viewers because internet users have been bombarded with online advertisements for years. We have essentially been desensitized to online marketing unless we are searching for it or it peaks our interest.
- Even if a consumer notices the Ad, their retention of the information is going to be limited, even if they click on it for more information. By clicking on an ad, the web user will be taken away from what they originally came to the page to do and therefore unlikely to click on it. With printed marketing materials, this inconvenience is eliminated.
- Google also understands that quality information cannot be summed up using a banner ad.
- The amount of information shared in the letter I received from Google would have been too much to fit on an online advertisement. The letter contained useful information that spoke to the quality of the service they were promoting. The more credible a product/service, the more likely it will sell.
- Google knew that making their marketing campaign personal would catch the reader’s interest.
- The offer advertised required a promotional code to redeem it. The card sent in the mailer contained that code. The code was mailed to me personally; it is more like a personal invitation rather than a deal offered to everyone on the internet. There are many ways to make a printed Ad feel personal to your customers. Mailers are a great option.
4.) Print is durable.
- The recipient will save it, and when they see it again your message will continue to be redelivered. We can help you conceptualize and design a printed piece that will keep the impression count adding up.
These are some of the reasons why Google uses print advertising. Print is alive. If you are interested in using print marketing techniques such as letters or postcards like Google, visit our websites and see all the innovative ways you can use print.